A River Runs Through It - Pt. I
On Tuesday evening I went to one of the local poker clubs to play a tournament and after busting out rather early from that, I sat in their 1/2 ring game. Here is the first of three key hands I want to analyse.

Hand #1
1$/2$ NL Holdem Ring Game 10 Handed

Effective Stack Size: 120$
My stack: 180$

Bill Sparks is the Button with :Kc :Tc

Preflop: UTG+1 calls 2$. MP2 Raises to 10$. Bill Sparks calls. SB calls. Rest fold.

Flop: (3 players - 34$)
:9c :4d :7s
SB checks. MP2 checks. Bill Sparks bets 20$. SB Calls. MP2 folds.

Turn: (2 players - 74$)
:9c :4d :7s :2c
SB checks. Bill Sparks bets 30$. SB raises to 60$. Bill Sparks calls.

River: (2 players - 194$)
:9c :4d :7s :2c :8c
SB checks. Bill Sparks bets 75$. SB calls 45$ and is all in.

Result:
Bill Sparks shows :kc :tc and wins 284$ with a flush King high.
SB doesn't show.
Preflop, 10$ is not a very big raise for this game and although I have a marginal hand the raiser is a very straightforward player who can be easily outplayed on the flop when I have position. This is why I call.

When it is checked to me on the flop I take a stab at it with two overs. My bet will tell me if the preflop raiser was checking a monster and if no one hit, it should be enough to take down the pot. When the SB just calls I put him on a possible straight draw (e.g. 56s).

The turn looks like a brick for my opponent and gives me a flush draw. Since the SB checks again, I fire a second bullet large enough to take the pot if he missed, but small enough to fold if he pushes. When he min-raises, it becomes clear that he has me beat (I'm thinking maybe A9, 9T, or 89). So, the decision to call becomes a purely mathematical one. I feel my King is live as well as any club; therefore, I have 12 outs (3xK + 9xClubs) which gives me roughly a 24% shot of outdrawing my opponent. The pot is 134$ and it costs me 30$ to call. I am getting about 4.5 to 1 on my money. In addition, my opponent has left himself with only 45$ behind so he is more or less commited to sticking it in on the river and a club will appear harmless because it's hard for him to put me on a runner-runner draw. The math dictates that I must call. So I do. I hit my river and felt my opponent.

In retrospect, I feel I commited too many chips on this hand, given the size of my stack and the relative strength of my hand. Firing the second bullet on the turn was unnecessary and forced me to put good money in after bad, especially since I was offered a chance at a free river card.

To read the next hand from this session, click here.

Labels: ,

2 Comments:
Blogger fishbones11 said...

nh sir. What did the small blind have. I am guessing that he had more then 1 pair for sure. But you still had implied odds to call anyway.

2:28 PM  
Blogger Bill Sparks said...

He did not show his hand. I flipped mine immediately when he called and he smashed the table with his fist and mucked his cards face down.

5:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home